Anyone who knows me knows I love my driving sims. The one thing I haven’t had, is a clutch pedal. What I do have, however, is an old rock band pedal, and a semi-wonkey Saitek ST290 Pro joystick (The y-axis drifts, and it’s not in hardware, it’s a firmware for which there is no fix).
You may notice that the rockband pedal has a layer of plywood on it. These things tend to crack when you really start to get into your drumming, so I reinforced it. I don’t have the game any more, so it will work perfectly for this project.
I’m going to use the throttle pot from the saitek, as it has the largest range of motion.
This should fit rather nicely I think. It’s important to choose a location that will afford the greatest amount of rotation to the pot, so the closer I can get to that orange bit, the better.
I need to remove the hinge pin from the pedal, easily achieved with a punch.
I did have to remove the bit of wall here as the pot will be sitting in there. A dremel and some pliers make quick work of that.
Using my digital calipers, I measured and marked where I am going to have to drill.
This should work out rather well. Now to remove the pot and slot it for the steel rod.
With the steel rod affixed and the pot re-installed, the orange bit actuates the pot quite nicely, but I still need to have it return. I had considered a spring but I couldn’t find one.
So I’m going to use a paperclip.
Up, and down.
All that’s left is wiring up to the microcontroller and adding the code to send it as the z axis. I won’t bother with the whole thing just now, but the code part was as simple as the single line Joystick.Z(analogRead(40));
A quick calibration in the control panel and it works. Video later.